200 West Bridgers St. Hours
P. O. Box 1380 Thursday and Friday 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Burgaw, NC 28425 Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Phone: 910 259 8543 firstname.lastname@example.org
This building was erected in 1917 by the late Amos Burton, who was at one time the Mayor of Burgaw. It's solid brick, not veneer, and the outer walls are two bricks thick. It's also the oldest brick home in Burgaw
Kate Buck Noel bought the house from Burton in 1923 and live there until her death in 1941. Mrs. Noel was a school teacher in her native Mississippi All three of her daughters, Fannie, Katherine, and Margaret, were teachers also.
Fannie Noel Married John A. Bannerman of Burgaw and he died two years after their marriage. He was the grandson of John Player Bannerman who built the Bannerman House. In addition to her three daughters, Mrs. Noels son Edmund, who was a veteran of World War I, lived in this house for many years. Edmund was gassed in the war and his health was never good after that.
During the 1920's and the early '30's, this house was used for a tonsillectomey clinic during the summer months. Many local people had their tonsils removed here. Cots were brought in and lined every room. Doctors operated on the children who were kept overnight.
The Noels were a hospitable and out-going family and their home was the scene of many parties. The Burgaw Book Club was formed here in the living room in 1929 by Fannie Noel Bannerman.
When World War II started, the Noels rented some of their rooms to other people. The upstairs porch was screened and was used for sleeping.
In later years, the Noel family live in Florida during the winters and only spent summers in this house.
When Mrs. Bannerman decided that she was no longer able to return to Burgaw for the summers, she and her sister, Margaret Noel Austin, gave their shares of the property to the Pender County Historical Society. They were the only remaining of the six Noel children. The widow of their brother, Ben, sold her share of the estate to the Historical Society for $6,000.
The gift by Mrs. Bannerman and Mrs. Austin was made in memory of their Mother and the museum is a memorial to her. Mrs. Noels portrait hangs in the front hall of the museum.
When the Historical Society decided to accept the property, it raised the $6,000 to pay for the one-third share. A major restoration was needed. Anthony Caputo and Harold Aitken did most of the work and served as overseers for the entire project. One young boy, Robert Kenan Jr. worked on the painting and used that as his community service to receive his Eagle Scout award.
The building is very much as it was when it was used as a home. The main changes made were small porches on either side of the kitchen were made into an office and a storage room. Julian Mills of Penderlea was a member of the Museum Board of Directors at that time and it was he who directed this work. Mr. Mills died shortly after the work was completed and a plaque in his memory is on the office door.